I (finally!) finished my Swedish Fish socks (by spillyjane knits)! After a summer of sewing and the arrival of fall, I’m back knitting, starting with some unfinished projects.
This pattern is so adorable! This project was a big learning curve for me. In addition to learning color blocking and getting more used to picking up stitches and turning the heel, it was also my first time using 100% cotton yarn. I wish I had known how little stretch cotton yarn has (or doesn’t have) and how little stretch color blocking has. I got half-way through my first sock and realized I couldn’t get the sock on my foot. I frogged the whole thing and started again with size 3 needles instead of the size 2 the pattern recommends (and with which I had gauge!). I tried the socks on obsessively and ended up not needing to have to decrease until the toe (I have a very high arch). On the plus side I can get the socks on my feet; on the down side they’re a little baggy everywhere except when I get them on over my heel. They’ll be great for wearing around the house, wearing to bed and wearing in winter boots.
Not to steal the thunder from these awesome socks but I’ve already got another pair of socks on the needles . . . And I am determined to finish a pair of two-at-a-time leg warmers I started last year before the first snowfall! Fall is such a great time for knitting :-)