I’ve been totally obsessed with making a lonestar quilt after I saw one at the show-and-tell portion of my quilt guild last year. Terri Ann designed the pattern for Moda and after trying to wrap my head around the construction for about six months, I went for it. Unlike Terri Ann’s pattern which has a beautiful color effect, I wanted to make a scrappy version and I knew that I wanted to make it all blue. I cut strips from eight fabrics to make my pseudo jelly roll and then combined the strips at random. In hindsight, I should have used 10-12 fabrics to avoid some fabric repeats.
I love love love this pattern and this quilt!! The pattern was super clear and very easy to follow. I seriously could not be happier with the way it came out! I want to make a million of these, including a super scrappy one (plans are already in the works!).
The biggest learning moment in this quilt was realizing that trimming the individual quarters before sewing them together was crucial. As a result, some of the corner joins in the “armpit” of the star aren’t exactly perfect. I don’t have all white fabric in my stash so I used some very pale polkadot fabric that I got at a shop that shall remain nameless (seriously, the quality of fabric here varies wildly but it’s inexpensive). This fabric was particularly thin but I think it provides a nice balance to the main fabrics. Next time I might add a border so that my star points don’t get cut off when I bind it.
I seriously love this quilt! I can’t wait to make another one! I had already planned to make it for Project Linus and I couldn’t be happier to give this one away. It even makes my crappy apartment building look sort of good :-)