Thought it’s hard to believe after my last quilt that I would still have a sizeable collection of scraps, once I started to sort the remainders, I realized that not only did I still have a lot of scraps, I had a lot in the pink/purple/orange and yellow color zone. I decided to make a bunch of quarter log cabins and see how it worked out. To be honest, this quilt is not at all how I imagined it would be. I think it works but I like the one in my head that I was unable to execute better :-)
The quilting was a real hot mess which was really disappointing. I think there were too many seams, too many fabric directions and too much lousy ironing, which made it pull at my first row of quilting and just got worse as I went on. Don’t ask how many times I re-basted! I got it to work eventually but it was very frustrating. If I washed it before taking these pictures, I don’t think the pulling would be all that noticeable…
I love the back – orange it one of my favorite colors! And I am thrilled that I *almost* got the zigzag to line up – I didn’t have enough fabric to get it to line up and make a 10″ stripe but I love it just the same.
After my last few projects, I realized I had an abundance of scraps. Fortunately, I love to play with scraps! I had this idea that I would make something along the lines of Charlie Brown’s t-shirt – a bit of a zigzag. Instead of making it all scrappy, I had some blue fabric that I thought might work as the center to create the zigzag line. Full disclose: the blue fabric was what was going to be a summer dress. After two pattern alterations (one with the professional advice of my mom), the darn dress still didn’t fit so I gave it up and threw it in my stash. It was very cathartic to cut up the remains of that dress and put it to use in this project! I have to admit, this is one of my most favorite quilts that I’ve made so far. Fortunately, I still have a ton of that blue fabric left over and I am always making more scraps!
I purposefully made the blue strips uneven widths so as to add to the wonkiness scrappiness of the quilt. I think it works!
The back is some Marimekko yardage that I got for cheap at the Crate & Barrel Outlet. It’s a bit heavier than quilting cotton so it was a dream to quilt – no puckers! The quilting is very simple – I did a single line through all of the blue fabric and then another single line the opposite way.
I love how this quilt came out and was so pleased with the process that I’ve lost a bit of my “sewing mojo”. I’m slogging through my latest quilt . . .
Another friend had a baby so, I happily got to make another quilt for a friend! I went with a really simple pattern – a charm quilt made of 5″ squares. Can you tell that Lauren had a girl? ;-) I love the rose fabric on the back though I’m not super crazy about the white thread on the black background. Once it’s used/washed a few times it won’t be so obvious. I can’t believe how girly this quilt is – I love it!
It’s so rare that I get to make quilts for people I know. Most of the quilts I make get donated to Project Linus so it’s a bit of a treat when a friend has a baby and I get to make a quilt that will be loved by someone I love. My friend Leigh just had a boy so I made the Moda Love Quilt in yellow. I made one a while back in red so I knew it would be lovely in yellow. It came out great! So soft and cozy looking :-) The pattern comes in three sizes but I altered it so all of my finished blocks were 7″ – perfect size for a baby.
These pictures are a little dark, but I assure you this is a bright, sunny, happy quilt! I hope Leigh and little Valin Xavier love it! :-)
As I mentioned in my last post, I taught myself how to sew freehand improv curves. This has truly been one of the most enjoyable quilting experiences I’ve had since I started quilting! This project was such fun and I am happy to now share pictures of the finished quilt. I absolutely love how it came out!
My only regret with this quilt is that it turned out a lot larger than I anticipated so I didn’t have quite enough room to pin the “quilt sandwich” together. When I went to quilt it, the fabric pulled all over the place. Ugh, I’m so disappointed in the quilting! It’s my own fault for rushing things. I’m sure that once the quilt has been washed, the pulling won’t be noticeable.
The backing fabric is from IKEA. I love this fabric but I think they finally discontinued it.
Instead of dwelling on the quilting mess, I’m going to end with a another picture of the quilt. This was such a great project and I can’t state enough how great it was to stretch my skills and learn something new :-)